12 May 2014
The mandate entrusted to Marine Research Centre by the President's Office (Letter No: 1-D/30/99/15 of 21 February 1999) are:
- Plan, coordinate and conduct scientific research on marine resources of the country.
- To undertake marine research directed at the conservation, enhancement and management of the marine environment in general and for fisheries exploitation in particular
- Disseminate knowledge to the government and to the public with the objective of creating public awareness about the fisheries and the marine environment.
- Study ways and means, which will increase the fisheries sector’s contribution to the economy of the country.
- Conduct resource surveys in selected Areas within the country.
- Compile and implement a database, holding data as well as scientific information on marine resources.
- Undertake research on technological innovations, which will promote the rational utilisation of the marine resources. This also involves the introduction of these technologies to the fishing industry.
- Publish research findings and reference materials with the objective of creating public awareness about the marine environment.